The Barber of Seville Study Guides
April 19, 2012
6:30pm - 8:15pm
Study Questions for Gioachino Rossini's The Barber of Seville
These study questions are to help you support your knowledge of The Barber of Seville based on the video that you’ve just seen and to help you get to know the opera better. If you want, you might Google one of the questions or topics in order to broaden your knowledge of the opera. You will also find examples of the opera on You Tube: do a search for Rossini, The Barber of Seville. These examples are from productions of the opera all over the world and will show you how various opera companies deal with the sets, costumes and style of the opera.
- Who was the playwright who wrote the original play The Barber of Seville?
- True or false: this playwright was involved in both the French and American Revolutions.
- Why was The Barber of Seville considered revolutionary for its time?
- True or false: The Barber of Seville had an extremely successful first performance.
- Why does Dr. Bartolo decide to marry Rosina?
- To what animal does Rosina compare herself to in her aria or song?
- What instrument is Count Almaviva playing when he serenades Rosina underneath her window?
- What is Figaro’s role in the plot of Barber?
- Is The Barber of Seville a good example of opera buffa? Why?
- How does the composer use music to describe the character Figaro in his aria or song?